Physics Mentoring are looking for enthusiastic and motivated students to become Physics Mentors in 2023/24!
As a Physics Mentor, you will receive full training and be part of a community of engaged and motivated students across Wales.
The Physics Mentoring Project operates in cycles. In a mentoring cycle, a pair of Physics Mentors are matched to a Welsh school, where they conduct six mentoring sessions with a small group of secondary school students. As a Physics Mentor, you will design and deliver sessions based on themes which aim to encourage curiosity and development of transferable skills.
Physics Mentors who are engaged with the project and communicative with the project team can benefit hugely from being involved in the project. Some of the benefits can include:
- A cash bursary of £200 per mentoring group
- All travel and accommodation expenses reimbursed
- The opportunity to attend in-depth, enriching training
- You can read about the training in this blog post by a Mentor Alumnus, Hanna
- The opportunity to complete a Level 4 qualification, accredited by Agored Cymru, for free
- An increase in confidence
- Qualifications and the development of employability skills to supplement your CV
- The personal satisfaction of inspiring a generation of young scientists!
The opportunity is particularly useful to students who are considering a teaching career, as you can read about in this blog by Lille, a previous Physics Mentor.
The opportunity to become a Physics Mentor is open to anyone who:
- Is a current student at Aberystwyth University, Bangor University, Cardiff University, Swansea University, the University of South Wales, or Wrexham Glyndŵr University
- Has a post-16 qualification in a physical science (e.g. A level, International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers, BTEC, apprenticeships, etc.)
- Is committed to engaging fully with the project time commitments and communicating regularly with the project team
- Is enthusiastic about Physics, inclusivity in STEM, and inspiring the next generation of scientists!
All mentors are fully trained, and so anyone who meets the above criteria is encouraged to apply, regardless of experience.
Applications are open until 23:59 Sunday 6th August 2023. Before applying, please read our Physics Mentor information page.
If you have any questions, contact us!