Physics Mentoring are looking for enthusiastic and motivated undergraduate and postgraduate students to become Physics Mentors in 2022/23.
As a Physics Mentor, you will receive full training and be part of a community of engaged and motivated students across Wales. The Physics Mentoring Project operates in cycles. In a mentoring cycle, a pair of Physics Mentors are matched to a Welsh school, where they conduct six mentoring sessions with a small group of secondary school students. As a Physics Mentor, you will design and deliver sessions based on themes which aim to encourage curiosity and development of transferable skills.
Physics Mentors can benefit hugely from being involved in the project, including benefits such as:
- The opportunity to attend an in-depth and enriching training, (which you can read more about in the blog by Hanna, a current Physics Mentor),
- Development of employability skills, such as communication, teamwork, and organisation,
- An increase in confidence,
- Valuable experience for their CV, including the opportunity to complete a Level 4 unit in Increasing Engagement with Physics through Mentoring, accredited by Agored Cymru, for free,
- personal satisfaction of inspiring a generation of young scientists, and
- a cash bursary of up to £200 per mentoring group led.
The opportunity is particularly useful to students who are considering the teaching career, as you can read about in this blog by Lille, a previous Physics Mentor.
The opportunity to become a Physics Mentor is open to anyone who:
- is a current student at Aberystwyth University, Bangor University, Cardiff University, Swansea University. the University of South Wales, or Wrexham Glyndŵr University
- has a post-16 qualification in Physics (e.g. A level, International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers, etc.)
- is committed to engaging fully with the project and communicating with the National Coordinator, and
- is enthusiastic about Physics, inclusivity in STEM and inspiring the next generation of scientists!
All mentors are fully trained, and so anyone who meets the above criteria is encouraged to apply, regardless of experience. Applications are available here and are open until 23:59 Friday 7th October 2022. Before applying, please read the Physics Mentor Information Sheet. If you have any questions, contact us.